07427 359 111 [email protected]

Well, what a day yesterday turned out to be. Best laid plans and all that! Tracey and I arrived at the Hospital at about 1145 on Saturday and began setting up for the run. Tracey made a nice table display and hung up the signs to tell people all about the run. I went to bring the treadmill from the physiotherapy gym – disaster- I couldn’t get it to work. I tried for about 20 minutes with no joy.

At this point it looked like the run could not go ahead. This was totally unacceptable so I had 2 choices either go for a 13 mile outdoor run or find another treadmill. I decided to try the latter so I called my friend Jonathan Walker at GAMBARU in Harrogate and had an instant solution. Jonathan said I was to come straight to Gambaru and do the run there. This is exactly what we did. 30 minutes later Tracey and I were at the gym and being shown around by Jonathan. I am frankly amazed at some of the equipment in this gym. Members log into the e-gym kit and it instantly brings up theirs individual training package, targets and progress. It is unique to the area and a huge step forward in personalised training.

After a quick tour I had a last drink and then onto the treadmill. Set to 10km / hr it would take me just over 2 hours to run the 21.2 km (13.2 miles). Off I went….

I soon got into a rhythm, listening to my running playlist and alternating between watching gym life and introspection. I was encouraged by my pals Sarah and Ralph who dropped in during the run, Sarah brought her beautiful baby Edwin and Ralph brought some cracking vegan flapjack (check out The Flying Baker on FB)

About 15km I was aware of my sore toe, it was uncomfortable but tolerable and I knew it was never going to stop me.

At this point I was tired and a little dry, I tried to take in a few drinks but it was tricky while running as I only had an open top bottle! Bath time.

As I approached the end of the run Tracey and Jonathan joined me once again to cheer me to the end. As I got to the last mile or so Jonathan and I talked about the marathon we ran together 6 years ago, I don’t know how we did it.

I finished with immense relief and pride a few minutes later. I was worn out but ecstatic. The motto of Gambaru is a motto for life – NEVER GIVE IN.

We took a few more photos and thanked Jonathan, Emily and all of the guys at Gambaru and then headed out for a drink at Bean & Bud. No better way to celebrate.

It’s now Sunday and I am aching. I still feel the residual effects of the run but this pales into insignificance compared to the pride I feel along with the gratitude to all who made this challenge such a success. As you can see it has exceeded the target significantly and for this I thank you all.

The challenges go on, the need goes on, together we make positive changes:


Share This Page: